Saturday, January 26, 2013

Blogject Is A Word I Just Made Up, Crowdsourcing Is Not

Please excuse this interruption from your regularly scheduled programming (regularly meaning, in this case, extremely intermittently).

This is a Blogject.

My goal with this blog is to force myself to write on a semi-frequent basis and explore different voices, styles and framing devices. One of the projects I want to try is an idea I've had for a while now: to write a crowdsourced story, using ideas suggested by friends/strangers/foreign dignitaries to create real characters and a cohesive thruline.

To be honest, I'm not sure it's actually possible. But it'll be interesting for me (and hopefully for you, if you participate) to see a story start from nothing and grow in a bunch of different directions based on a bunch of different ideas, then streamline into something that's actually readable. My initial aim is to write it in ten parts, with the end of each part offering another opportunity for suggestions.

Part One begins now. To start I need:

1. A genre
2. A location
3. An adjective that describes the main character

Leave your answers in the comments, and I'll get a-writin'.

5 comments:

  1. 1. bodiceripper
    2. West Hollywood
    3. amphibious

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 time travel romance
    2 North Philadelphia 7 years ago
    3 white

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh. i dig. it's like a variation of the "one book written by multiple collaborating authors" thing that was really popular a few years back (like - sedaris/colbert's book "wigfield," or "naked came the manatee" with dave barry and like, ten other people.) while they weren't always super successful, watching them try was half the fun of it.

    1 screwball
    2 high school
    3 sardonic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun!

    1. Fantasy
    2. Jail
    3. Charming

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Mystery meets Western, 22nd century twist
    2. Wheat field just outside the "big city"
    3. Aware

    Looks like I may be a tad late to the blogject, but it was fun to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete